Step-by-Step Guide To Filing Form I-751 What You Need To Know

How to fill out Form I-751

Filling out Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, can be a complex process, so it’s important to follow the instructions provided by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) carefully. Here’s a general overview of the steps to fill out Form I-751:

  • Download the Form: You can download Form I-751 from the USCIS website. Make sure you are using the most current version of the form.
  • Read the Instructions: Before you start filling out the form, read the instructions thoroughly. The instructions will provide important information about the application process, required documents, and where to send your application.
  • Gather Required Documents: Collect all the required documents that you’ll need to support your application. This includes evidence of your ongoing marital relationship, financial co-mingling, shared responsibilities, and more.
  • Complete the Form:

    • Part 1: Personal Information
    • Part 2: Information About You and Your Spouse: Provide information about your conditional resident status and your spouse’s information.
    • Part 3: Basis for Petition: Choose the appropriate category that applies to your situation.
    • Part 4: Information About Your Children: If you have children who also have conditional resident status, provide their information.
    • Part 5: Additional Information: Answer the questions in this section.
    • Part 6: Information About Your Residence: Provide information about where you currently live and any previous addresses.
    • Part 7: Signature of the Person Preparing Form: If you had help filling out the form, the preparer should sign and provide their information.
    • Part 8: Declaration of the Person Filing: Sign and date the form.
  • Submit the Form with Supporting Documents:

    • Make a copy of the completed form and all supporting documents for your records.
    • Organize your supporting documents according to the USCIS instructions.
    • Prepare the filing fee (if applicable) in the form of a check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
    • If you’re using an attorney, include Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney.
  • Mail Your Application: Send your completed Form I-751, supporting documents, and payment to the appropriate USCIS address as listed in the instructions. Make sure to use certified mail with a return receipt to track your application.
  • Receive Receipt Notice: After USCIS receives your application, they will send you a receipt notice to confirm they have received it. Keep this notice for your records.
  • Biometrics Appointment: USCIS may schedule you for a biometrics appointment where your fingerprints, photograph, and signature will be taken.
  • Receive Interview Notice (if applicable): USCIS may schedule an interview to further review your application. If you’re required to attend an interview, follow the instructions provided in the interview notice.
  • Receive Decision: USCIS will review your application, documents, and any interview results to make a decision on your petition.

It’s important to carefully read the instructions and provide accurate and complete information on Form I-751. Any mistakes or omissions can result in delays or even the denial of your application. If you’re unsure about any part of the process, consider seeking assistance from an experienced immigration attorney. Read more “list your business in the” “free and paid submission to the” “add your site” statistics

What documents do I need to submit with the I-751 application?

When submitting Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, you need to provide a comprehensive set of documents to demonstrate the authenticity of your marriage and ongoing relationship. The specific documents required can vary based on your individual circumstances, but here’s a list of commonly required documents to include with your I-751 application:

General Documents:

  • Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence: Completed and signed.
  • Conditional Green Card Copy: A copy of both the front and back of your conditional green card.
  • Passport Copy: Copy of your passport’s biographic page showing your photo, name, and expiration date.
  • USCIS Filing Fee: Include the required filing fee (check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date fee information).
  • Check or Money Order: If paying by check or money order, make sure it’s correctly filled out and signed.

Documentation of Ongoing Marriage:

  • Marriage Certificate: A copy of your marriage certificate.
  • Joint Financial Documents: Include joint bank account statements, joint credit card statements, joint mortgage or lease agreements, and other financial documents showing shared responsibilities.
  • Joint Utility Bills: Copies of utility bills (electricity, water, gas) that show both spouses’ names at the same address.
  • Joint Tax Returns: Copies of joint federal and state tax returns for the relevant years.
  • Evidence of Joint Assets: Include documents that prove shared ownership of assets like property, vehicles, or other valuable items.
  • Affidavits of Support: Statements from family members, friends, or acquaintances who know about the bona fides of your marriage and can vouch for your relationship.
  • Travel Documents: Copies of travel itineraries, boarding passes, or passport stamps that show you and your spouse traveling together.

Personal Documents:

  • Birth Certificates: Copies of birth certificates for any children born to the marriage.
  • Divorce Decrees: If either spouse has been divorced, include copies of divorce decrees and related documentation.
  • Death Certificates: If a previous spouse passed away, include a copy of the death certificate.

Additional Supporting Documentation:

  • Photographs: Recent photographs of you and your spouse together, preferably at various stages of your marriage.
  • Correspondence: Copies of letters, emails, or other correspondence exchanged between you and your spouse during your marriage.
  • Affidavit of Termination: If you’re filing for a waiver based on divorce, abuse, or the death of your spouse, provide supporting evidence and an affidavit explaining the circumstances.
  • Form G-28: If using an attorney, include Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney.

Keep in mind that this list is a general guideline and the required documents can vary based on your situation. It’s important to review the USCIS instructions for Form I-751 and provide accurate and thorough documentation to support your application. If you have any doubts or uncertainties, consider seeking assistance from an experienced immigration attorney to ensure a successful application process.

What is Form I-751 processing time?

The processing time for Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, can vary widely based on several factors, including the USCIS service center where you submitted your application, the volume of applications being processed, and the complexity of your case. USCIS provides estimated processing times for different service centers on their official website. These processing times are updated regularly and can give you a rough idea of how long it might take for your application to be processed.

You can check the estimated processing times for Form I-751 on the USCIS website by following these steps:

  • Visit the USCIS “Check Processing Times” page.
  • Under “Form,” select “I-751 – Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.”
  • Under “Field Office or Service Center,” select the appropriate service center where you submitted your application.
  • Click the “Get Processing Time” button.

The result will provide you with the estimated processing time range for that particular service center. Keep in mind that these estimates are subject to change and can vary over time.

Form I-751 processing times could range from several months to over a year, depending on the factors mentioned earlier. However, processing times can change, and it’s recommended to regularly check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date information.

If your case seems to be taking longer than the posted processing time or if you have urgent circumstances, you can consider reaching out to USCIS for more information or seeking assistance from an immigration attorney.

Latest news


Related news